The mother of a four-year-old boy, who was killed by her drug-addled de facto partner, says she could only scream out her son’s name when she found him blue in the face and lying on his bedroom floor, a court has heard.

In the NSW Supreme Court on Monday, the 23-year-old de facto partner pleaded not guilty to murder, but guilty to manslaughter of the boy, who died after suffering several blows, on April 1, 2011, at a home near Warren, in the state’s west.

The Crown has accepted his plea.

The mother told the court she was home alone with her son that day, and he was sick, lethargic and had a urinary tract infection. She put him to bed before her partner came home about 9.30pm.

She said she had seen her partner inject himself with speed the night before, and he was “aggravated … anything could make him spark or crack” when he returned home that night.

The mother said her son soon called out to say he’d wet his bed, and her partner said he would be “the father figure” and go upstairs to bathe him.

She said she heard “three loud bangs” while her partner was bathing the boy and a fourth as she was walking towards the bathroom.

After each bang, she said her partner angrily yelled at the boy to “stop it”.

When she stood at the bathroom door her son “took a step towards me and fell to his knees” and as she was putting on his pyjamas, the mother said she noticed the boy had glassy eyes.

The mother said her partner told her to go back downstairs, and she did out of a fear of being hit.

A few minutes later, after briefly coming downstairs and returning to the boy’s room, her partner called out to her.

“(The boy) was blue on the floor and had four red dots on his forehead,” the mother said.

“All I could do was scream out his name.”

The woman said her partner shook the child “vigorously” for about 90 seconds to try and get him to respond, before he conducted CPR.

She said her partner had asked her to tell people they put the child in the bath, briefly went downstairs, and came back into the bathroom to find him face down in the water.

“So he’s asking you to tell lies?” Justice Elizabeth Fullerton asked the mother.


The court heard there was medical evidence about injuries the boy had suffered in the days before his death.

“For a homicide without murderous intent, this would have to be in the very worst category of manslaughter by unlawful and dangerous act, is that right?”

Crown prosecutor Peter Barnett agreed.

The case will be heard again in April.

The original release of this article first appeared on the website of Hangzhou Night Net.