Shots fired … the scene of a suspected armed robbery at Broadway Shopping Centre. Photo: Peter Rae Police talk to Armaguard employees and witnesses. Photo: Nick Moir
One of two men charged over the bungled attempted robbery of a cash-in-transit van outside Broadway Shopping Centre in inner Sydney is allegedly a “repeat offender” who has also been charged with perjury to secure himself an acquittal over similar charges last year.
Police allege the 26-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, and his 20-year-old co-accused took part in the brazen hit about 8.15am last Monday.
Dramatic footage was recorded on a nearby cafe worker’s mobile phone, as well as being witnessed by dozens of passers-by. The footage showed three thieves, armed with two assault rifles and a handgun, becoming increasingly frustrated by their failed attempts to get inside the van as a fourth bandit in a stolen Audi getaway car started sounding his horn as a warning.
The three eventually gave up and, empty-handed, returned to the waiting car and drove away.
After a week-long investigation, officers from Strike Force Ogilby arrested two men on Sunday night.
The 26-year-old was arrested at a property in Marrickville, while a 20-year-old man was arrested during a vehicle stop in Wentworthville.
Police allege the pair were the “principals” in the attempted heist last Monday, during which a shot was fired into a nearby roof.
Robbery and Serious Crime Squad head Luke Moore said police will allege the 26-year-old fired a single shot from a weapon he had secured from one of the Armaguard security guards.
The 26-year-old faced Newtown Local Court on Monday charged with seven offences, including robbery while armed with a dangerous weapon, possessing an unauthorised firearm, firing a weapon with no regard for public safety, being carried in a stolen vehicle and perjury with intent to procure an acquittal.
In court documents, police allege that in September last year, the 26-year-old lied in court to secure the acquittal of himself and four other men in a trial that had run for more than three months.
The accused is also charged with knowingly dealing with $1.2 million, the proceeds from armed robberies committed in 2009.
He made no application for bail, and was remanded in custody to reappear via audiovisual link on April 18.
The 20-year-old is due to face Fairfield Local Court today.
Mr Moore said a Glock was seized in the Marrickville raid, and police believe it is one of more than 100 illegal weapons imported into Australia from Germany.
Police are still looking for two men over the robbery, while investigations into the importation of the Glock pistols are being carried out by Firearms and Organised Crime Squad detectives under Strike Force Maxworthy.
– With Megan Levy
The original release of this article first appeared on the website of Hangzhou Night Net.