Dean Collis playing for the Tigers in 2007. Photo: Darren PatemanLONDON: Dean Collis and Paul Sykes played the crucial roles as Wakefield Wildcats battled back to rescue a dramatic 23-23 draw at home to Salford City Reds on Sunday.

Collis, a 2012 signing from Cronulla Sutherland-Sharks, crossed for the hosts and Sykes kicked the last-gasp drop goal to secure a share of the spoils.

Salford, who had Jodie Broughton, Lee Jewitt, Theo Fages and Jack Murphy on the scoresheet, came within seconds of securing their second victory of the season but still climbed above London Broncos at the bottom of the standings.

Broncos fell to a 42-22 defeat at home to Hull KR on Saturday despite a valiant comeback led by Craig Gower.

Gower, who joined Broncos in 2012 after a three-year stint in rugby union in France following 11 years with Penrith Panthers, notched a first-half try despite the visitors running riot with tries from Alex Brown, Kris Welham and Greg Eden.

Trailing 30-6 at half-time, Gower’s influence began to show for the hosts and compatriot Chris Bailey went over along with Kieran Dixon to offer some hope of a comeback.

But Liam Salter and Cory Paterson, who linked up with the Robins in the close season from North Queensland Cowboys, quickly dashed those chances and Broncos’ hopes of a second successive Super League victory disappeared.

On Friday, Pat Richards guided Wigan to a comfortable 38-0 victory over Catalan Dragons with two tries on his 200th Warriors appearance.

The 2005 NRL Grand Final winner with Wests Tigers also kicked five goals at the DW Stadium as the hosts moved up to second in the table.

Sydney-born Blake Green also got in on the act, condemning the Dragons to their second defeat of the season.

Just ahead of Wigan in the standings are Huddersfield Giants after their 32-8 win at reigning champions Leeds Rhinos.

Giants captain Danny Brough got himself on the scoresheet and was the architect of most of their good play with tries from Joe Wardle, Aaron Murphy, Scott Grix and Eorl Crabtree keeping them a point above Wigan in the table.

Elsewhere, Francis Meli and Lance Hohaia each grabbed tries for St Helens against Challenge Cup holders Warrington Wolves in a 22-10 victory at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

The New Zealanders both crossed in an impressive first half from the Saints who are picking up pace under new coach Nathan Brown.

Also going over were Jordan Turner and James Roby, while the Wolves had a Brett Hodgson goal and two Chris Bridge tries to show for their efforts.

At the Stobart Stadium, Patrick Ah Van’s late goal for Widnes Vikings secured a dramatic 22-22 draw against Bradford Bulls.

The former New Zealand Warrior was instrumental in helping his side recover from the dismissal of Gareth Hock and a 20-4 deficit at half-time as he barged over for two tries in addition to his six points with the boot.

Meanwhile, Daniel Holdsworth was on the scoresheet as Hull FC ran out comfortable 52-0 winners over Castleford Tigers.


The original release of this article first appeared on the website of Hangzhou Night Net.